Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stressed!

My oldest child does not know how to listen, and I am just sooo frustrated right now.  I've been asking her to get ready all morning...NOTHING.  She's been having some really hard times in the mornings lately, and I don't know what to do about it.  I literally have to yell at her nonstop for her to actually DO anything.  I want to cry because I don't know how to help her.  I don't know what to do.  And I put her in time out...and it doesn't phase her in the least.  I told her earlier...like an hour ago to get ready to take the dog out...well finally I got fed up and told her she could just go take the dog out like she was.  No socks, no shoes, no jacket (she did have jeans and a big sweater on).  Again, didn't phase her in the least.  It was like I wasn't even punishing her.  What am I supposed to do??  I've tried taking away things, I've tried spankings, I've tried time outs, I've tried yelling, I've tried being nice, I've tried different punishments.  I'm about to throw up my hands in the air and just literally give up, but then how is she going to even get dressed in the mornings.  I don't know what to do, and I'm sooo stressed out about her in the mornings.  She literally puts me in a bad mood every single morning because she will not listen.  I don't know if it has to do with her ADHD, I really don't, but whatever it is, its frustrating the hell out of me.  Every morning I feel so stressed out because of her.  Everymorning, I swear I'm going to give myself a heart attack because she can't listen to me AT ALL.  I'm just going to cry.  Ugh, this just out right SUCKS.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds A LOT like my oldest son. He was just recently diagnosed with Asperger's. I've read that Asperger's and ADHD can be very similar. Have you tried a sticker chart? I'm new to your blog, so I don't know how old your daughter is, but during the preschool years, sticker charts helped immensely. Once our some got into the school years, we started having him get dressed the night before so he woke up already dressed for the day. Then we only had to fight about eating breakfast, brushing teeth, and shoes and coat. At any rate, it was one less morning fight. (((HUGS))) I've been there. The frustration sucks to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, that is sooo interesting. We honestly don't know exactly what is wrong with her. When we first went to the Dr. about her, they thought she was having those seizures that you can't really see. But the medication that they gave her never helped. So we worked with other things, I thought maybe ADD, because she's definately not hyperactive, she just has a really hard time focusing. So they started her on first ritilan, and now concerta. The concerta definately seems to help when she is at school, but its a constant fight sometimes in the mornings, and in the evenings when the medication wears off. Right now we are doing a little magnet chart, and she still has issues. She is 7 years old right now, and I just want to get her the help she needs, but I do strongly feel that she needs help. I can't wait until we are back in the states and we can actually get a legitimate diagnosis. I like the idea of getting dressed before bed though. That would help tremendously! I may just try that one. Thank you so much for responding though, I appreciate it, and I will definately look into Asperger's as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!

>