Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Meatloaf

Another of my Money Saving meals.  Meatloaf...oh yum!  I love meatloaf, Paul, on the other hand, does not.  So I rarely get to make meatloaf, mostly when he's deployed, but I was really in the mood for some meatloaf when I made up my menu, and voila, he's going to have to suck it...jk, but he'll live.  He's eaten wayyyy worse...I mean helloooo, he's in the ARMY!  =)  (on the upside though, he LOVED it!)



This recipe is absolutely delicious.  Of course, I had to tweak it...a LOT.  And I didn't measure anything out or anything fun like that.  I just kind of threw it all together, but thats the fun of meatloaf.  Now I will say that mixing it up, is the best part...but I hate getting meat and gunk under my fingernails...and I have long fingernails.  Soooo...to compensate, I use my gloves...yes, I have special disposible gloves for such occassions, and yes, I know I'm a nerd!  Ahh well, here is the recipe!

Meat Loaf
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef (or turkey)
1/4 cup milk (I used fat free, but thats because thats all I use)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground mustard (I did not have ground mustard, so I used regular mustard and added about a teaspoon full instead...)
1/8 tsp pepper
1 garlic clove, minced (because I'm a rebel, I used 2)
1 egg
2 slices bread, torn into small pieces (I let Sierra do this job, and I used whole wheat bread, Sierra had fun "helping" me though)
3 tbl chopped onion (Of course, all of my onions are bad, thanks Baumholder, so I used minced dried onion, and I used a little less, because thats what you are supposed to do)
1/3 cup ketchup, chili sauce, or bbq sauce (I used chili sauce because I didn't think I'd use the chili sauce for anything else)

Heat oven to 350, and mix all ingredients together except ketchup in large bowl.
In ungreased pan, spread beef mixture, shape into a loaf.  Spread ketchup on top and sides.
Bake, uncovered 50-60 minutes until meat and juices are no longer pink, or thermometer reads 160.  Let stand 5 min.

I do think that next time, I'm going to try ground turkey instead of beef, and we bought the cheapy meat, so next time I'll buy a little more expensive, there was a lot of grease at the bottom of the pan, and thats not really appetizing to me.  It was still delicious though.  I made it with some mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob.
I have no idea how much this meal was all in all.  Unfortunately, I lost my reciept from the grocery store.  =(  But it was a great meal, and according to the book it costs 1.02 per serving.  I've noticed that its usually pretty accurate, which means its on the higher end of the scale.  It makes 4 servings, but even though Paul and I had about 1 1/2 and the girls each had one, we still have another one left.  If you make it let me know how you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment!

>