Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fully Loaded Chili...Milk Free Cornbread



I LOVE Chili, but this chili wasn't my favorite. I still thought it was good. Now, just a warning ahead of time, most of the recipes I use, I just base my recipe off of. I usually add or take away a few things, and make modifications as I see fit. But here are the recipes.

FULLY LOADED CHILI



1 lb ground beef
1 med onion, chopped (I used a sweet onion, because the other onions at the commissary looked puny)
1 med green pepper
1 3/4 cup water
2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 can (15.5 oz) great northern beans, rinsed, drained
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo or chickpeas, rinsed drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
1 tbsp baking cocoa (weird right?)
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder ( I definately used wayyyy more than that )
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Garnishes:
reduced fat sour cream, baked tortilla chip scoops, reduced fat cheddar cheese

In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook th beef, onion, and pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the water, tomato sauce, beans, cocoa, hot sauce, and seasonings. Bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes ( mine sat for a lot longer, I like the flavors to meld well together ). Garnish each with whatever your heart desires!




Now I will say that I tripled this recipe, as stated above, I like chili, and I froze some, made chili dogs out of some, I'm going to make chili tacos, chili cheese fries, and frito pies with this chili as well. I also added some rotel and didn't think that it would be too hot, so I added more spices. It turned out hot, we had to add some sour cream to cool off the girls bowls enough so they would eat it, they also drank a lot of milk, lol. It was a good recipe, but it wasn't my favorite chili recipe either. But its healthy with a total calorie count of 351 calories for a full cup, which is a lot for chili, so I was very pleased with the health factor!




MILK FREE CORN BREAD



1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup rice drink ( the one I bought was flavored vanilla for a slightly sweeter taste )
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp, unsweetened applesauce



In a small bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In another bowl mix together all of the wet ingredients. Stir together both dry and wet just until moistened. Transfer to a 9 in square baking pan coated with cooking spray.



Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm. ( make sure to add some butter and some honey to make it that much yummier! )



ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! Seth LOVES chili!

    Why the cornbread without milk? Is there Lactose intolerance in your family?

    We drink the lactaid milk because the boys seem to do better on it... otherwise they have 'poop issues'... :)

    Awesome blog! LOVE the Header picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann, the cornbread without milk was just something new to try, and its a lighter recipe I guess too, it was in one of my healthy cookbooks, lol. The girls used to have issues with milk too, but not so much anymore. Thanks for coming to my blog! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!

>