Monday, May 3, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

*Adapted from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2010 annual recipes*

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

1 cup water
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup old fashioned cooking oats
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I made my own, because don't have the premade stuff, it was1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice)
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Craisins (dried cranberries)


In a small saucepan, combine the water, soy milk, oats, pumpkin and pie spice.  Bring to boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in the sugar and vanilla.  Sprinkle with cranberries.

This was very easy to make, and it was pretty good.  I like oatmeal, even plain with some bananas and walnuts, and this one was okay.  A little soupy for my tastes, I would have rather it been less liquidy.  The first bite of it without the cranberries, was only okay, edible, but only decent.  After I added the cranberries though, it lent a very nice sweet flavor to the subtle pumpkin.  So it was good.  I wouldn't call it fantastic, I wouldn't call it the best, but it was just good.  It is healthy for you though.  One cup only has 268 calories, 5 g of fat, 5 grams of fiber, and 10 g protein.  Oatmeal is usually pretty good for you.  I was just wanting to try something different.  Plus I've had some canned pumpkin in my cupboard that I needed to use.  This recipe only makes two servings.  I actually doubled it for the girls and I.
doesn't really look that appetizing in this one

Autumn loved it, thought it was great, Sierra didn't take to it as well, which is strange because she's the healthy eater.  Like I said, it was good, and if you are looking to try something different, go ahead and try it.  Next time I would add some more cinnamon and maybe a little cloves to it though to really give it that pumpkin pie flavor.


Thats better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment!

>